University of Texas at DallasDepartment
Can you help me understand this Business Law question?
The United States Supreme Court recently reversed two precedents regarding the First Amendment rights of corporations. A bitterly divided Court held that the government may not ban political spending by corporations in candidate elections. The Court also rules in an important health insurance case dealing with the religion freedom of cooperation.
Follow the directions below to complete this assignment. I am interested in your reaction to this ruling from a legal and personal point of view. A short statement will be sufficient.
1. Read the article by Liptak, Adam “Justices, 5-4, Reject Corporate Spending Limit” N.Y. Times. 22 Jan. 2010. at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/us/politics/22scotus.html
2. Read HOBBY LOBBY STORES, INC., ET AL v. KATHLEEN SEBELIUS, SECRETARY OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES, ET AL http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/12a644_k53l.pdf
3. Read one commentator’s analysis there are many on these topic: Legal Analysis of the Supreme Court Ruling on Hobby Lobby-an interesting power point
4. Read both the majority decision and the decisions by those Justices who did not agree and dissented from Supreme Court’s ruling and the Dissents from http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/08-205.ZS.html
5. Go to the Discussion Board forum “Corporate Freedom of Speech and Religion” and discuss the following issues:
6. Reply to at least two of your classmates using the discussion grading criteria ( updating later )
This assignment is required and graded – up to 20 points for your original posting with up to a total of 5 additional points for replies to two students for a total of 25 points. See the grading criteria for detail
|Discussion Forum ResponseAddressed all requirements/answered all questions.Wrote substantive postings of 1 or 2 paragraphs (6 – 8 sentences) for each.||10 points|
|Use of Terms and Ideas LearnedUsed terms from chapter correctly where appropriate.Used ideas from chapter correctly (with citation) to clarify, explain, or support an argument.||5 points|
|Contribution to DiscussionReplied in thoughtful, meaningful, and helpful ways.Advanced the discussion whenever possible.||5 points|
|Response to posting of other studentsResponses to posting of two students|