Nr305 Week 7: Assessment of the Musculoskeletal System and Pain
This week’s graded discussion topic relates to the following Course Outcomes (COs).
- CO1 Utilize prior knowledge of theories and principles of nursing and related disciplines to explain expected client behaviors, while differentiating between normal findings, variations, and abnormalities. (PO 1)
- CO2 Recognize the influence that developmental stages have on physical, psychosocial, cultural, and spiritual functioning. (PO 1)
- CO3 Utilize effective communication when performing a health assessment. (PO 3)
Fred is an 83-year-old male who is being admitted to the medical-surgical unit status post fall. He is alert and oriented and reports that while visiting a local casino with his wife Margaret earlier this evening, he tripped over a curb and fell landing on his right side. After receiving morphine in the emergency room prior to transfer to your unit, Fred is rating his pain at 6/10. He has multiple bruises from his jawbone to his knee as well as a slight rotation of his right leg.
Past medical history includes: myocardial infarction (MI) x 2, peripheral vascular disease (PVD) with bilateral iliac stents, non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM), sleep apnea, and degenerative joint disease.
Medications include: aspirin, Plavix, Lopressor, Lisinopril, and Metformin.
After reviewing the above scenario please answer the following questions.
- Based on the information provided, how will you prioritize your care, what assessments will you include and in what order? Please provide rationale for your response.
- Considering this patient’s age, injury, past medical history, and list of current medications, what, if any, concerns do you have related to his potential need for surgery?
- Should surgery to repair his right femur be required; what type of clearance and pre-op orders would you anticipate receiving related to his diet, meds, lab work, and so on?