Week 4 Discussion
Topic 2: Stigma Associated with Disease
Some vulnerable populations may have diseases, health impairments, and pregnancy that bring humiliation and predisposed judgment. Unfortunately, these health conditions can cause vulnerable populations to become ostracized by the general public.
- What ways would you choose to function as an advocate for vulnerable populations?
- Discuss the types of assistance you might provide to each of the following clients from a vulnerable population:
- A 24-year-old pregnant woman who is currently homeless and unmarried
- A 16-year-old girl who has run away from her foster home and who has an IV drug habit
- An immigrant worker whose TB skin test just came back positive
- An employed, married man who contracted Hepatitis B through a blood transfusion 30 years ago
With a society that is so diverse in its own nature, issues pertaining to cultural diversity are bound to occur in the process of team management and leadership. Using the South University Online Library or the Internet, research about cultural diversity. Based on your research and understanding, answer the following questions:
- How does having members of different cultures on a team affect the team’s performance?
- How would you incorporate a person from a culture of your choice into your team, keeping in mind communication differences within your and the chosen culture?